Friday 16 July 2010

And the wind blows.......

Good train ride down - met a fella called neil on his way to do a
triathlon so we chatte for a while ( good luck in Fiji neil ) reached
our destination and knew we were in depeest Cornwall when I handed the
iPhone to the taxi driver askin him to take a picture and he managed
to turn it off - bless him he was a really decent bloke just he
couldn't drive for shit. I can only alikeb my feeling on the 9 mile
drive to LE as the same as before a rugby match - a bit narky /
nervous - basically wanting to ge on with it. Quick picture at the
sign, got the form signed and set off at 3.43pm. Amazing sunshine made
it postcard stuff - but I wasn't hanging about. I couldn't believe how
the wind literally carried me out of LE an continued to for the next
14 miles - up hills / down hills it was amazing and I count myself
very lucky - also sunny enough to cycle sans top - the tans coming on.
The road surface is pretty good on the a30 - road kill aside. Arrived
at the three quoins at 7.35 - garmin sent me on a random but scenic
route here - I literally could have been in ingram valley. Room is
ideal - sausage and mash for tea. Highlights / thoughts of the day:
- putting my first load of chamois cream on afte 14 miles - it works!!
- using my lowest gear already...... And I don't even think this is
the hilly part
- hitting 43 MPH
- catseyes and drains were created by the devil
- seeing people on the other side of the rode nearly completing their
Jogle, saluting each other and already feeling part of something
- realising that a rucksack was a rubbish idea and that it now has a
new home as it's not coming with me any further
- there's a sport in Cornwall, and in particular on the a30, enjoyed
by the majorityof motorists but in particular hgv drivers called '
drive as close to the cyclistas possible' . Thanks
- strong crosswinds make cycling at speed interesting
- enjoying an awesomely smooth 5 mile stretch of Tarmac, nearly
pushing and not dropping below 30
- wondering why I've got condoms in my rucksack - hardly lejog essential
- appreciating how wild and isolate it is down here

And that was day 1 - 86 miles done, feeling good though I know my legs
will kill tomorrow. A rainbow marked the end of my first day - very
uplifting - and I only got rained on for 5 minutes total


This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or subject to copyright or other intellectual property right protection. If you are not the intended recipient of the email, you are not permitted to use or disclose any information contained in the email or any attachments and we request you notify the sender and delete both the email and any attachments. Thank you.

Winterbotham Darby & Co Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment