Saturday 17 July 2010

Day 2 - pain is temporary eh?

Started the day with an unwanted companion - Foo-kin Sohamstreeng -
and the bugger stayed with me pretty much all day. Ground it out on a
very busy a30 through launceston, past okehampton ( managed to hit 48
mph down a hill - well chuffed ) and onto Exeter. Foo-kin was really
getting in my head and slowing me down - I decided I'd rock up to
Exeter chiefs and try and blag some physio. The place was on lock down
so after wasting an hour and 4 miles trying find the place headed out
of town. Moral was very low here - constant pain the only thing I was
thinking - and th only way to relieve it was be up out the saddle -
uphill sections were suddenly a relief.
I met 2 lejogers and 1 jogler. First I met a man from Essex (I'm not
good with names so can't remeber any of the peoples I met shamefully)
- I felt for him - he was about to take on the hills I'd just done but
with the wind in his face - at least he's got his wife with him.
Second was a couple doin a tandem - they were from liverpool and very
friendly - not sure how much she was enjoying riding at the back
though. Sat here I would say this lady saved my day and maybe the ride
- a physio I told about the hamstring - and straight away she
suggested lowering the seat. Within 10 mins the pain had pretty much
gone - helped a little by nurofen - but it made the last 2 hours a lot
of fun. Lastly was a pair of oldish Scotsmen - they weren't keen to
talk - last I heard was them shouting at each other for a wrong turn.

Had a pasty for lunch on a bench ina village 20 miles out of Exeter. A
sweet 90 yr old lady joine me and renewed my faith in old age - she
Was completely switched on - and I learnt more about the earl of bath
than I ever thought I would. She's probably walking around the village
now with a new pair of fingerless cycling gloves on - as I left the
bloody things on the bench.

With the hamstring sorted, sun on my back and a few cheeky waves from
the girls of the villages spirits were up and the day finished well -
I'm actually looking forward to 150 miles tomorrow - it's 22 miles to
Bristol so aiming to get there for a pret coffee at 8.30 - incentive
set.

Randomness:
- Chav's are bloody everywhere - and particularly rife in rural towns
- just seen a full family from 14 yr old kids to grandad stumbling
about pissed.
- Most interesting road kill - a decapitated rat
- obesity is a severe problem in Devon
- hostels attract strange people
- horse flies hurt when they fly into your forehead

Time to hit the cheddar night life ....... Dear god


This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or subject to copyright or other intellectual property right protection. If you are not the intended recipient of the email, you are not permitted to use or disclose any information contained in the email or any attachments and we request you notify the sender and delete both the email and any attachments. Thank you.

Winterbotham Darby & Co Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment