Wednesday 21 July 2010

Yesterday continued

The other morning excitement of yesterday was my wrong tern in Gretna,
which meant I never saw the Scotland sign but did have the pleasure
ofdoing a 4 mile stretch of the m74 hard shoulder - feeling a bit
exposed I managed to get off by jumping a fence and crossing a field
to the correct road. 5 minutes later a police car stopped me - they'd
had several reports of a random loan cyclist on the motorway - it's a
toughjob policing the dumfries and Galloway region!!

So having finally got to south queensferry it was a real boost to have
an hour with family, some food and to offload some of the no longer
needed items - thermal top, pants, helmet, condom and t shirt - and
pick up the worlds best mums flapjack. 6pm was goodbyes and off to
dunkeld - still withsoft tyres and minus a spoke. Quick stop in
Kinross, home of t in the park, where I faced a moral dilema. Five 15
year old girls, wearing more make up than dame edna, shouted 'areet
pal, canyae buy us a 10 pack of regal king size?' - I didn't think she
should be smoking but on a second glance decided it might help to take
a few pounds off her so duly obliged-typical scot she short changed me
20p too.
With 13 miles to go to Perth I lost another spoke - and so decided to
stop in Perth to get repairs in the morning - my bro sorted me out a
treat and his friend rick was too kind- a pleasure to meet such
friendly and helpful people.
Woke up this morning to torrential rain - which even made the news.9am
went to the cycle shop - the chap there was apopleptic almost at my
stupidity for a: touring on a road bike and B: addingso much weight
with the trunk bag - he basically thought I was a tosser - so at least
I knew he was astute. Having worked my ass off to convince him I was
only 50% tossy he did get chattier and did an awesome job of fixing my
bike - making sure I bought some other essentials before I left:
tyre,waterproof shoe covers and some mini air cannisters for flats -
all these were absolute god sends today. On a sunny day i'm sure it's
a fantastic run from Pitlochry to aviemore - the scenery is
breathtaking and makes you feelvery small. The right knee isn't taking
too well to the cold - the first 30 mins after a stop are agony - but
I know something is always going to hurt. It's a good 40 miles
continuous uphill, into head wind and strong rain - on a flat section
the wind was so strong I was down to 1st gear. I saw a cyclist looking
particular Norwegian on his way towards me, I slowed up thinkinghe'd
want to regale tales - but he actually sped up past - oh well. Got a
puncture (that's 11 in 3 days) just as I reached the moorland summit
which is very open - I simply couldn't stop - it was dangerous up
there in terms of temperature - so I headed for a White building about
2 miles ahead which turned out to be a b&b where the kind lady let me
use her shed to repair - the air cannister is amazing - makes the tyre
120 psi immediately - though there's a reason one had a thermal wrap
around it - so it doesn't freeze your hand - of course I'd chosen the
one without. Pushed on down to Kingussie with dead hands making gear
change tricky, along some great cycle paths as to go on the a9 would
be suicide. Now in the aviemore hostel - Arrived 6.30 - it's great,
full of Europeans whose language I can't decipher yet they probably
think I can. It's amazing the people you meet in these places - I'm
thinking how on earth did you end up here - they have a very specific
way about them the euro's -all in the kitchen making their soups and
other crap food.

30 miles from Inverness here - which is at sea levelthankfully - with
next stop helmersdale - 95 miles and last stop before John O Groats -
nearly there.

Random thought recently are why / how did the kinks get on my iPod -
they suck big time - I think it was billo's suggestion. On the other
hand Stevie Wonder was awesome - I had this random picture in my mind
of him cycling with me, in the rain with his shades on..........it's
been a long day!
I've decided the Scottish should adopt the phrase 'if it's edible, fry
it' as their national slogan - sounds too stereotype but on asking
the aviemore chippy if they sold snickers bars was told 'nae love but
I can do you a fried mars bar'......

I'm currently gaining an insight into old age - the chamois cream has
a numbing antiseptic agent in it - and I keep getting it on Mr Frank
Johnson........well he is as dead as dead thing - essentially on
gardening leave - not that he's needed at present anyway.

I was thinking today as I was wet through and getting craggier by the
second, if I'd known every mile that lay ahead when I started and seen
it on video or something, would I have still done it. I really don't
think I would - but when the challenges come as surprises, you take on
that situation there and then - and worry about the next one as and
when. That also relates to asking for other peoples opinions on things
- I do this too much - and more often than not find the actuality
different to the suggestion. It's not about being ignorant but making
your own uninfluenced opinion as everyone's experience willbe different.

My iPhone camera is broken so no uploads and the space button is dodgy
- it's not that I cannae write proper

This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or subject to copyright or other intellectual property right protection. If you are not the intended recipient of the email, you are not permitted to use or disclose any information contained in the email or any attachments and we request you notify the sender and delete both the email and any attachments. Thank you.

Winterbotham Darby & Co Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment